Wednesday 16 April 2014

Making Installation.

Final Installation.

The end of the course, finally we were going to start making out final installations.

Honestly, I didn’t know how to go about my final installation, there were to may ideas and too much confusion. I even considered taking forward my 3d installations prototypes that I made for expecting the unexpected 3-installation chapters course.
Every time an idea came to my head I would try and pen it down, but I was too confused to start with any one of them.

When we had our session with our Facilitator he gave us a few parameters that we had to work with in:
- needs to be installed by the 15th.
- Should be cost efficient and we should spend as less as we can.

My batch mate Nehal had asked me if I wanted to do an installation together, well I was very confused about what I was going to do and so was she. She shared all her ideas and I shared mine. We were both on completely different pages.

My basic idea that I was persistent was I wanted to make something out of multiple small elements that came together as on, so whatever the installation may be each part would make sense on it’s own and multiple pieces of  each together would also make a pattern as a whole.

Personally I don’t feel an art always need to have a concept to start with but I feel, that having a concept before hand works for me better as then my mind doesn’t go all over the place. And the biggest problem that I was facing was that I didn’t have a concept but in my head I knew how I wanted my structure to look vaguely.

so next day just before our class, Nehal came up with this brilliant idea of how we could do do an installation related to the missing flight MH370 . Hher initial ideas was about how we can make the plane with wire, but I felt representing MH370 in a not so direct and a more abstract form would be a better idea. So I thought that instead of making one craft or one major thing, we could make multiple small things joining to make one big.
I could carry on my initial idea of making multiple small things and combining them to make on large installation. So I thought about it did some research about the flight and something that Is the symbol of peace.

Then came in the tracing paper and 239-peace crane.
I suggested that we should make 329 peace cranes because there were 239 passengers on the flight. The no. Is a lot, and sounds very scary we weren’t sure if we would be able to do it but then Anahita (classmate) also joined in and helped making the cranes. Then we thought that I would be boring to have same size cranes. So we experimented with scale.
Experimenting with scale gave our installation more character I feel, and keeping the cranes white made it look delicate and beautiful.
Making 239 was a pain but I was fun and I personally enjoyed it a lot. We didn’t even complain so much while making it cause we had a cause behind making the cranes as they were for the peace of the missing people.
Each crane is an art installation in itself and all together work and make an installation as 

well is what I feel.























Our concept note: Amidst all the conspiracies that surround the disappearance of flight MH370, one can very easily forget the 239 people (including passengers and crew) whose lives are being treated with insignificance, the people whose families haven’t got any closure after the flight went missing, the people who have become a faceless number in the news. This is a small way to give a face to each life, and to let them know that they aren’t forgotten. Take a minute to look at the mass above you.

Each crane is a life.


No comments:

Post a Comment