Wednesday 16 April 2014

visit to national gallery of modern art.

NGMA-ing

For one of our class we went to NGMA, it was my first visit to Bangalore NGMA. When we were in ngma I had forgotten what all sections had to be seen and noted about. I conveniently passed through Bengal school and went straight to Amrita Sher-Gil’s work. He solo exhibition was put up.
I hadn’t seen a lot of Amrita Sher-Gil’s work. The exhibition but here I feel was very good as it covered a large chunk of her work.

I don’t think I’m anyone to critique her work, but after looking at her work I was extremely impressed by her portraits of herself. The use of colour was bold yet subtle; each colour merged and wasn’t shouting to be heard. Through her work you could feel her bohemian artistic life. I feel she captured the mood of the person really well in all her portraits.

Then, finally I came down to Bengal school, First time I heard about Bengal school but the artist’s whose works were put, I heard about them but not really seen much of there works expect Rabindranath Tagore and Jamini Roy.

It was the first time I saw Abinindranath Tagore and Gaganendranath Tagore’s work I personally really liked both their works, especially Gaganendranath’s cubism and Abanindranth’s miniature style of painting.

While looking their works I came across a new medium that I didn’t know about called tempera so I decided to read the boards with writing and that’s when I found out about what Bengal school is; it was a nationalist project in art was led by Abanindranath Tagore (1871-1951) during the British rule in our country. In collaboration with Europeans such as E.B Havell, the principal of the Government School.  The entire movement was about moving away from conventional oil painting and subjects that were popuar and prominent in both the British and Indian. Abanindranath looked to ancient murals and medieval Indian miniatures for inspiration both for subject matter as well as indigenous material such as tempera.

A lot of other Indian artist joined this nationalist art movement, and this was often called Bengal school though this movement was not only limited to Bengal.
I feel that all the paintings that I saw were indigenous yet had a modern style of art.

I saw and read a lot of new artits’s name whose works I really liked such as: Nanandalal Bose and B.B Mukherjee.

I’m so glad we were asked to go to Ngma by college and for this course, or I wouldn’t have really made the effort to go and made excuses in my head.
Ngma visit made me miss home and my Ngma visits in Delhi.

I loved the feel and the atmosphere of the Bangalore Ngma.

It was a lot of fun and a great experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment